Dr. Kevin T. Geiss, SES
Dr. Kevin T. Geiss, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Energy in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Installations, Environment and Logistics, Washington, D.C. Dr. Geiss is responsible for providing oversight and direction for all matters pertaining to the formulation, review, and execution of plans, policies, programs, and budgets for the effective and efficient use of energy to support the global Air Force mission.
Dr. Geiss enlisted in the United States Marines Corps Reserves in 1986 and served in field artillery, communications and military police units during his period of service. Dr. Geiss spent 9 years as a defense contractor supporting Air Force research programs at Wright-Patterson AFB (WPAFB), OH. He began his civilian career with the Air Force in 2002 in the Human Effectiveness Directorate of the Air Force Research Laboratory, WPAFB, OH. In 2006, he was detailed to the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, where he performed policy and budget review of DOD science and technology programs and resolved policy and funding issues with the Office of Management and Budget. He was also responsible for leading interagency policy committees on national and homeland security.
In 2008, Dr. Geiss joined Headquarters, Department of the Army as the Program Director for Energy Security. He was responsible for the development and implementation of the Army Energy Security strategy through coordination across all Army Headquarters staff and Secretariat offices. Dr. Geiss led the Army Energy Security program to address power and energy issues for the facilities and installations domain, in weapon systems, and for contingency operations.
1990 Bachelor of Arts in chemistry, Cedarville University, Cedarville, OH
1993 Master of Science degree in chemistry, Miami University, Oxford, OH
2001 Doctor of Philosophy degree in zoology, Miami University, Oxford, OH
2002 Software Professional Development Program, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
2005 Executive Education Certificate, The Wharton School, Philadelphia, PA
2009 Army Force Management Course for General Officers/Senior Executives, Ft. Belvoir, VA
1. 1986 - 1994, United States Marine Corps Reserves
2. 1993 - 2001, Scientist, Geo-Centers, Inc, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
3. 2001 - 2002, Department Manager and Senior Scientist, Geo-Centers, Inc, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
4. 2002 - 2003, senior research scientist, Human Effectiveness Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
5. 2003 - 2005, associate to the Chief Scientist, Human Effectiveness Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
6. 2006 - 2007, Senior Policy Analyst, Office of Science and Technology Policy, Executive Office of the President, Washington, D.C.
7. 2007 - 2008, Assistant Director for National Defense, Office of Science and Technology Policy, Executive Office of the President, Washington, D.C.
8. 2008 - 2010, Program Director, Energy Security, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Installations, Energy and Environment, Headquarters, Department of the Army, Washington, D.C.
9. 2010 - present, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Energy, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Installations, Environment and Logistics, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
2005 Air Force Exemplary Civilian Service Award
2006 Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2009 Army Superior Civilian Service Award (1st & 2nd Awards)
2010 Army Meritorious Civilian Service Award
(Current as of May 2010)